Peanut Butter, Banana & Choc-Chip Pup-Cakes
You love your dog and you want to celebrate its birthday just as you would your human baby. While non dog owners might think your crazy, we get it!
It's our fur baby’s first birthday tomorrow and he will be spoilt with these delicious pup-cakes and a mountain of toys (and maybe even a steak dinner)
This recipe is so simple and quick and uses pantry staples that most would have at home anyway. It's a big favourite with our boy and can be enjoyed by humans as well (though, were not sure how tasty you will find them with no added sugar)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup of natural peanut butter (make sure it is Xylitol FREE)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted or liquid)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 medium banana (chopped)
- Hand-full of sugar free carob drops (We used Bones & Whiskers Chocolate drops)
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt (something with no added sugar like Chobani)
- 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon arrowroot powder
- Coconut flakes (for sprinkles)
- Your dogs favourite treats to decorate (We used Bones & Whiskers Hemp Cookies)
What you'll need
- Muffin or cupcake tray
- Patty Pans or extra coconut oil to grease
- Wooden Spoon
- Rolling pin (or something to help crush the carob drops)
- 2-3 Mixing bowls
1.Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine the egg, coconut oil, honey and peanut butter. Whisk together until combined.
4. Place your carob drops into a sealable snack bag. Roll over with rolling pin until they are crushed.
5. Add mashed banana to egg mixture. Whisk together really well. Ditch the whisk.
6. Finally, add crushed carob drops, flour and baking soda into egg and banana mixture. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
7. When all ingredients are combined the mixture should be a cookie-dough like consistency.
8. Line your muffin tin with patty pans or grease with coconut oil.
9. Make 6 balls with the dough mixture and place into each muffin holder.
10. Bake for 15-20 minutes (until slightly golden on top) Allow to cool in the muffin tin for 10 minutes and then transfer to cooling rack. If using patty pans they can be removed at this point.
11. When your pup-cakes are completely cool, begin to make your icing.
12. Add yogurt, peanut butter and arrowroot to small bowl. Mix well with spoon. Consistency will be thick and creamy (similar to a butter cream)
13. Either pipe icing onto pup-cakes or spoon on and spread evenly with the back of the spoon.
14. Decorate with coconut flakes for sprinkles and your pups favourite treats.
15. Take a quick pic for instagram and enjoy!